City Quicklinks

History of the City of Lake Worth

Points of interest:
  • 1949- The (City of) Lake Worth Village was incorporated.
  • 1954- The Water Department and Police Department were created.
  • 1955- The Fire Department was created.
  • 1957- The Corporation Court was created.
  • 1959- The Sewer Department was created.
  • 1961- The Library was created.
  • 1962- The name City of Lake Worth Village was changed to the City of Lake Worth.
  • 1965- The first Home Rule Charter was approved.
  • 1968, 2003, and 2008- The Home Rule Charter was amended.
  • 1996- The Lake Worth Economic Development Corporation was created.


Past Mayors:

  • Walter Bowen, 1995-present
  • J. T. Hinkle, 1991-1995
  • Richard Trimble, 1975-1991
  • Robert Butler, 1971-1975
  • M. H. Brackeen, 1969-1971
  • R. J. Turpin, 1968-1969
  • L. W. Pope, 1965-1968
  • John L. Blackwell, 1963-1965
  • James P. Pyeatt, 1957-1963
  • John W. Webb, 1955-1957
  • A. W. Mills, 1951-1955
  • W. W. Merrett, 1949-1951

Other Sources:

City of Lake Worth © 2015 All rights reserved.

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM